Link Aadhaar with Voter ID
To curb electoral fraud, the Indian Government introduced the system of linking an individual’s Aadhaar number with their Voter ID card (also known as the Elector’s Photo Identity Card or EPIC). The linking of the Voter ID card or EPIC number with the Aadhaar number is known as seeding. This linking process aimed to remove bogus or multiple Voter ID cards issued in the name of a single individual. Once the Aadhaar number is linked to the Voter ID, the individual can cast a single vote per election. The seeding process will thereby ensure fair elections by eliminating bogus voters.
Is It Mandatory to Link Aadhaar Card with Voter Card
Linking Aadhaar with Voter ID is not yet mandatory. However, to ensure a fraud-free electoral process, you can link your Aadhaar number with your EPIC number. You can even encourage your near and dear ones to do the same. There are several ways through which you can easily link your Aadhaar with your Voter ID. Read on to know-how.
Documents Required for Linking Aadhaar with Voter ID
Before you proceed to start the linking process, you must make sure that you have the following details and documents:
- Voter ID card number
- Aadhaar Card
- Registered mobile number/ email ID
How to Link Voter ID with Aadhaar Number?
Once you have the details and documents mentioned above, you can start the linking process. There are several ways through which you can easily link your Aadhaar with your Voter ID as mentioned below -
Link Your Aadhaar-Voter ID Online Through NVSP
If you wish to link Aadhaar with Voter ID online, then you can do so on NVSP (National Voter Service Portal). You can access the portal by typing nvsp.in on any browser. Once you are on the portal, follow the steps given below:
- You will have to start by entering your details such as your name, your father’s name, D.O.B, state, and district.
- After entering the details, click on the “Search” button.
- If the information which you entered matches the information in the Election Commission’s database, your details will be displayed.
- Once your details appear, click on the option ‘Feed Aadhaar No.’ You can locate this option on the left-hand side of the interface.
- After clicking on that option, a pop-up window will appear. You will now have to fill in details such as your name as per your Aadhaar card, your Aadhaar number, registered email ID or mobile number, and your Voter ID number.
- Once you have entered every detail, click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- You will now receive a message notifying you that your application to link your Aadhaar number to your Voter ID has been successful.
Link Your Aadhaar-Voter ID via SMS
You can even link your Aadhaar number with your EPIC number through SMS. All you need to do is type an SMS in the format shown below and then send it to 51969 or 166.
For example, if your EPIC number AB123456789 and your Aadhaar Number is 0987654321, you will have to type ECILINK AB123456789 0987654321.
Once done, a notification will be sent to you to your phone number.
Link Your Aadhaar-Voter ID through your Mobile
To link Aadhaar with Voter ID through your mobile phone, you can call the helpline number - 1950. This helpline number can be accessed on weekdays between 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. To proceed with the seeding, you will have to provide your Aadhaar card and Voter ID details.
Link Your Aadhaar-Voter ID Through Booth-level Officers
You can even link Aadhaar with Voter ID by submitting an application to your respective BLO (Booth Level Officer). The information you have provided will be reflected in the database after it is verified by the Booth Level Officer.
How to Check the Status of Your Aadhaar- Voter ID Linking
You can easily find out the status of your Aadhaar - Voter ID seeding on the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) website. You just need to enter your Aadhaar card number on the website to know the status. You can even check your application’s status on the NVSP website.
Aadhaar Voter ID Link FAQs:
What is the last date for linking your Aadhaar Card with your Voter ID?
There is no deadline as of yet. You can start the linking process at your convenience.
What is the cost of linking Aadhaar with Voter ID?
The seeding process is free of cost, so you won’t have to spend any amount on it.