Pan Aadhaar Link
Recently, the Supreme Court of India has extended the deadline of linking PAN with Aadhaar by nine-month to help more people complete this process. The court has announced that it is mandatory for everyone to link PAN with Aadhaar, failing which your PAN will become inoperative from 1st April 2021. The new deadline for PAN Aadhaar linking has been extended from June 30, 2020, to March 31, 2021.
Why is PAN Aadhaar linking important?
Listed below are the reasons why you should treat this on priority and link your PAN with Aadhaar as early as possible, if not done yet –
- It’s mandatory to link Aadhaar with PAN to file Income tax return (ITR).
- To apply for a new PAN
- To avail subsidies and social security benefit from central and state governments
How to Link a PAN Card with An Aadhaar Card?
Are thinking too much as to how to link PAN with Aadhaar card! It’s pretty simple. You can link your PAN with your Aadhaar without doing any paperwork. You can complete the entire process online by keeping the following information handy with you:
- Date of Birth
If you registered user at the income tax e-filing website, please follow the below mentioned process to complete the same -
- Visit the Tax e-filing portal - https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Click on “ Login Here”.
- Then enter your User ID (which is your PAN), password and the Captcha.
- Once you submit the above details, you will see a pop up saying link your PAN with Aadhaar.
- If you don't see the pop-up, go to ‘Profile Settings’ on the Menu bar and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- You will see details like your date of Birth, Gender, and PAN details. Verify the PAN details with the ones mentioned on your Aadhaar.
- If the details match, enter your Aadhaar number and click on the “link now” button.
- Now you will see a pop up showing - your Aadhaar has been successfully linked to your PAN
If you are a non-registered user or you don’t want to register yourself at the e-filing website, please follow the below mentioned procedure –
- Visit the e-filing website - https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Click on the Link Aadhaar hyperlink button in the quick link section on the left sidebar.
- Now a new form will open where you need to fill your PAN, Aadhaar No, Name as per Aadhaar Card
- Then, enter the captcha shown in the box
- Click on the option “I have only year of birth in my Aadhaar Card”, if it is applicable to you.
- Now click on the submit button
- Once you submit, a message will appear on your screen showing your PAN is successfully linked to Aadhaar.
Pan Aadhaar Linking via SMS
There are other ways of linking PAN with Aadhaar apart from linking it via the e-filing website. As per its notification published on June 29, 2017, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has permitted individuals to link Aadhaar with PAN by using other methods like sending an SMS or manually.
To link your Aadhaar with PAN via SMS, either you can send an SMS to NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited or UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Limited. However, you need to follow a specific format and send your details either to 567678 or 56161. The format used for PAN Aadhaar linking via SMS is - UIDPAN<12 digit Aadhaar><10 digit PAN>
For example, if your PAN is CCCCS4444P and Aadhaar no is 555566662828, then you will have to format the message as UIDPAN 555566662828 CCCCS4444P and send it to either 56161 or 567678. This is very simple, and free of cost. You don’t have to pay anything, except for the nominal SMS charges you may have to provide to your mobile network provider.
Manual Pan Aadhaar Linking
You can also complete the PAN Aadhaar linking process manually. To do this manually, you have to contact a PAN Service provider which could be either UTIITSL or NSDL, and collect the 'Annexure-I' form.
You will be required to fill the ‘Annexure-I' with all relevant information, and submit it along with a copy of your PAN and Aadhaar card. Also, you may be required to pay a prescribed fee if there is any correction made either in your Aadhaar or PAN details. Usually, an amount of Rs. 110 is charged for any correction in your PAN details. Likewise, the fee charged for any correction in your Aadhaar is Rs. 25. Besides, you have to go through a compulsory biometric authentication process in case there are major anomalies in your Aadhaar or PAN details.
How to Check If Your Pan is Already Linked with Aadhaar?
To check your Pan Aadhaar linking status, you have to visit the e-filing website of government of India where you need log in by entering the following –
- PAN ( It functions as your User ID)
- Date of Birth
After you successfully log in, click on the 'Profile Settings' tab and select the last option 'Link Aadhaar'. If your Pan is already linked to Aadhaar, the screen will show the message 'Your PAN is already linked to Aadhaar number 00000000'. Be it online or via SMS, or manually, the process of linking Aadhaar with PAN is quite simple, faster, and hassle-free.