GST Registration Online
Goods and Services Tax is an indirect tax levied on sales of goods and services. This tax replaces the earlier taxes charged like VAT, Service Tax, etc. GST was introduced in July 2017.
It has been made mandatory for all those who are involved in the sale of goods or services to be registered with GST. Registration with GSTN or the GST Network is a must for both individuals and companies if the annual turnover exceeds Rs 40 lakh. This rule is applicable for all Indian states except the ones situated in the North-East and the hilly regions like J&K, Himachal Pradesh, and Uttarakhand. The turnover limit for these areas is Rs 10 lakh.
Once you complete the GST registration, you would receive a unique GST number which can be used in your business transactions. This number would allow you to get an input tax credit and give you legal identity as a supplier
To be able to use all the benefits under GST, one needs to complete the registration with the GST network. Registration can be done easily online.
Documents Required to Complete the GST Registration Online
Before you start your online registration, it would be useful to keep all the required documents handy. The documents required for GST registration differ depending upon the kind of business entity that you are.
General documents required for GST registration are:
- PAN cards of the individual/s or of the Directors for companies
- Address Proof
- Aadhaar Card
- Bank Account Details
- Partnership Deed (For Partnership and LLPs)
- Proof of Registration for LLPs
- Appointment Proof for Signatories (If any)
- The Ministry of Corporate Affairs incorporation certificate (For companies)
- Memorandum/ Articles of Association
Procedure for Registration of GST Online
You can register for GST on the Government GST portal or at the GST Seva Kendras.
- Government GST portal Link : https://www.gst.gov.in/
- GST Seva Kendras: https://www.gstsuvidhakendra.org/
Step by Step GST Registration Process online on the GST portal are as follows:
- Go to the GST portal.
- Under the Services tab, click on Registration. Further click on New Registration
- In the new registration page, fill in the required details like Legal Name of the Business, PAN, Registered Address, etc
- Click on Proceed Button to get your OTP.
- After you key in the OTP, you would get the Temporary Reference Number(TRN) which is important for the registration process ahead.
Registration Process After Receipt of Temporary Reference Number:
- You start off the next process with your TRN, enter the CAPTCHA, along with the OTP. You will be directed to the GST registration page
- On the next page, you will need to submit details of your business like the Registered Name, State in which the business is registered, Date of registration and date of commencement of business, etc. In this section, you would also need to mention if you have any existing registrations.
- In the next step, you give details of promoters or partners of your business. If its a sole proprietorship firm, the suitable details are required. All personal details, like Director Identification Number, designation, PAN, Aadhar Number are required to be provided.
- The details of the person you are authorized to file GST returns also need to be submitted.
- Additionally, other details like the registered premises of business along with details like address, the nature of the premises (rented or own), etc are to be filled in. Details of any additional places of business, full details of goods and services traded, bank account particulars of the company, are all to be submitted.
- The next step is to upload the required documents. This will differ based on the type of business you are registering.
- You are all done. Now click ‘Save and continue’.
- After you submit the application, you will need to sign the application digitally.
- The next step would be to click on Submit which will save all your details.
- After submission, your Application Reference Number (ARN) will be sent via email or SMS. This is confirmation of your GST registration.
So these were the simple steps to get your GST registration done easily. Once the registration is complete, you can get a copy of your GST registration from the portal.
GST registration is extremely important for a business entity. Do not miss carrying out your registration and enjoying the benefits.